Dhivya Balaji over at Partis Temporus has been conferred with the Liebster award, which she has decided to pass on to me. I have got this blogging award thrice previously, so it’s kind of hard to find new bloggers to pass this to. Anyway, let me see if I can keep to the other rules.
The rules of the award are:
- Thank the one who nominated you, link back to their blog and display the badge of the award.
- Share 11 things about yourself
- Answer 11 questions asked by the nominator
- Nominate 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers for the Award and have them answer 11 questions.
- Inform the nominee by commenting on one of their posts.
11 things about myself:
- I love reading books on my Kindle. I still prefer paperbacks, but reading on the Paperwhite is fun.
- I don’t seem to lose weight no matter how hard I try.
- I seem to have become more fond of fiction than poetry.
- I am tempted to order butter chicken no matter what other ‘gravy’ is there on the menu.
- The only alcoholic beverage I drink is wine.
- I love watching clouds float by, seeing their shapes and imagining characters from my favorite books.
- I don’t like sitting idle even when I am injured or ill.
- I don’t like driving, though I know how to drive. I don’t feel that it’s a must for every man to drive.
- The only football club I support is Manchester United.
- I still read comics, and don’t find it childish. Tintin, Tinkle and Archies still have magic.
- I’m partial to crime fiction novels, though I read all genres.
The 11 answers to Dhivya’s 11 questions :
- Why do you blog? And why have you named your blog like you have?
I blog to express thoughts that are weighing me down or boosting me up. To put them into words is very cathartic. And my blog is named I Rhyme Without Reason to express my unconditional love for poetry, or writing. I don’t do it because there is a reason, I do it because I want to, when I want to.
- If you wanted to bring back a dead celebrity, who would it be and why?
To be frank, I’d not want to bring back anyone from the dead, celebrity or otherwise. I like to believe that they’ve crossed into a better place.
- What was your favourite subject in school and what would you say to those who may not like it?
My favorite subject in school was Mathematics, with English a close second. Each person would have their own preferences of likes and dislikes. It’s their choice. I needn’t defend mine, or taunt theirs.
- If you could harness the power of one of the five fundamental elements of nature, what would you like to control and how and why?
Water. This summer has been a very torrid and sultry one, and still continues to be. Droughts are prominent in some parts of the country too. If I harness the power of water, perhaps I can bring relief to them, and to my own city by bringing some rainfall.
- What is your favourite quote about life?
“The biggest challenge in life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.”
- How many languages do you know to write and is there any you want to learn?
I know to write three languages, and am trying to learn French and Bengali.
- What superpower do you wish to have, and, yeah, you guessed it – why?
I am fine as I am. But at times, I wish I had the superpower to make some people forget certain things. In the longer run, those people forgetting those things works out better for me.
- Do you take personality quizzes online? How far do you believe them? Have any of them been true (accurate)?
No, to the first question, so in similar vein to the next two questions as well.
- Of all the words you have written, which do you think received the best praise (according to you) and what would it be?
I’ve written many posts, and I’ve been praised for many of them. It’s not possible to really judge praise as the best. Each matters. My favorite post from recent years is the one I wrote on FGM, which is titled Darkness.
- What is the most memorable gift you have received so far? And what was the occasion?
Most friends gift me books, and each of them are memorable, no matter what the occasion. I sometimes read the inscriptions and think of the gifter and our friendship. It’s a reason why I don’t like gifting directly via Amazon.
- If you were to fight for one social cause, what would it be?
I write for many social causes, but the strongest one has been female foeticide, I think. To kill a child before it has seen the light of day, because of the gender of the child, that’s something I do not agree with.
I do not see a blog’s number of followers usually, so I don’t know if they have less than 200 followers. To choose 11 from the many blogs I read is difficult, but these five blog friends are relatively new to my space, and I wish to pass the badge and the questions to them. They are under no obligation to take and pass the award, but I’d be happy if they did.
Questions for them:
- One memory that you cherish from your school days?
- Your favorite fiction novel, and why?
- One thing you’d always tend to be forgetful of?
- One thing you do to regain calmness when you are upset?
- A food and/or beverage you love having on a rainy day?
- One thing you wish people would stop pestering you about?
- Favorite among all your nicknames, and why?
- A rose in a bouquet or in the garden?
- A part of social networking that irritates you?
- That place that you love returning to for vacation?
- Favorite day of the year, and why?
(© 7th June 2016)